Snagging is the final check to identify and document defects (or snags) in a construction project before handing it over. Traditionally, it may involve an endless trail of sticky notes that mark potential flaws in a project.
However, notes can go missing, and categories can get entangled. For example, it might be difficult to pinpoint if there was a loose tile on the ground floor or the second. The team’s inability to track such defects can compromise the snagging process.
Thankfully, there is a solution: construction site snagging apps. These digital tools streamline snagging by replacing crumpled notes with well-organized databases, photos, and PDF reports.
GoAudits is a popular snagging tool that digitizes snag lists. The app offers customizable checklists, an advanced reporting and analytics dashboard, real-time collaboration with your team, and much more. Book a demo or register for a 14-day free trial to explore GoAudits.
Why You Should Use a Snag List App?
Here is why you should switch to a construction site snagging app:
- Efficient snagging: A construction inspection software and snagging app speeds up identifying, reporting, and resolving construction defects. This saves several man-hours and thousands of dollars.
- Less paperwork: With a snag list app, you eliminate paperwork, which includes inspection checklists, inspection reports, snag lists, inspection logs, etc.
- Better data organization: You can categorize and prioritize snags effortlessly. You can also generate professional reports with all the data and photos instantly. This would reduce turnaround time significantly.
- Enhanced accountability: Managers can track and view the log of every snag. Additionally, they can view the team or individuals to whom the snags were assigned, eliminating delays in snag resolutions.
- Real-time communication: Teams can communicate seamlessly and tackle issues as they arise.
8 Best Snagging Apps and Software
Here are the best apps for construction snagging in 2024:
The GoAudits inspection app is an end-to-end solution for snagging in construction. It is a mobile and web-based platform that can streamline inspections and quality control. GoAudits mobile app is available across iOS and Android devices, and users can access it on their mobile phones, tablets, and desktops.
GoAudits is more than just a snagging app. With GoAudits, you can carry out safety and quality checks more frequently, even daily since it’s so easy to use. The tool can help you ensure safety procedures are followed by all contracts on the job site. You can also manage the overall quality of the construction project, guaranteeing greater client satisfaction and more business for your company.
» Customer Success Story: Learn how a major US homebuilder leverages GoAudits for inspections and quality control.
Here is how GoAudits can help you in the process of identifying and documenting snags in a newly built property before handover:
- Centralized project documents: You can upload building plans, specifications, and warranties on the platform for your team to access during snagging. This ensures your team members follow the correct standards.
- Customizable snagging checklists: Contractors can build detailed checklists covering different areas like flooring, windows, fixtures, etc. You can include defect descriptions and severity levels to prioritize better.
- Assign inspectors and roles: You can define user roles and permissions within the platform. You can assign specific inspectors to particular areas, streamlining the process and increasing accountability.
Snagging in Action
- Offline snagging: The team can conduct thorough inspections even in areas with limited or no internet access. Photos, annotations, and comments are stored locally and synced when online.
- Real-time snag recording: Inspectors can identify and document defects on the spot. The Goaudits mobile app facilitates clear capturing of photos for precise documentation.
- Advanced search and filtering: Team members can easily search for specific snags based on location, category, severity, or inspector. This helps track progress and prioritize critical issues.
- Assign corrective actions to anyone at any point: You can assign snag resolutions during or after the inspection to any team member or even an external contractor. All you have to do is add their email address and they will receive the corrective action ticket in their inbox, without logging into the system. Also, you need not pay any extra license fees.
- Generate snag lists and reports: Users can create professional inspection reports and snag lists with photos, descriptions, and assigned actions. They can be shared with contractors, project managers, and other stakeholders for efficient collaboration.
- Track snag resolution: Managers can monitor the progress of corrective actions. They can set deadlines and receive automatic notifications when snags are addressed.
- Historical data analysis: You can analyze past data using Inspection Dashboard Analytics to identify recurring issues and areas of improvement.
IssMan is a popular construction snagging tool that aims to improve quality control and streamline the workflow. The users can download the mobile app for both iPhone and Android. Project managers or general contractors can create a snag list and share it with the team, which can be accessed on a phone, tablet, or computer.
Inspectors or auditors can take annotated photos, notes on an issue, and updates using the IssMan mobile app. All this information is organized and included in the snagging reports.
- Enhanced team communication: The app facilitates tracking assigned snags and their updates.
- Offline accessibility: IssMan offers offline functionality, allowing auditors to document snags in remote locations.
- Report generation: You can easily generate and share professional reports with photos, notes, and progress updates with stakeholders.
Available on Android and iPhone, this snag list app allows users to digitize their snag lists, existing workflows, and other forms. One of its unique features is that users can pinpoint the location of snags.
iSnag allows team members to add photos, upload videos, and voice memos. Team members can annotate photos to further elaborate on the defects and other issues observed on the site.
- Workflow automation: Project managers can assign snags to specific individuals and track their progress in real time. The app notifies the managers whenever a new snag is discovered or resolved or an inspection is marked completed.
- Live dashboard reports: With the live dashboard reports, users can analyze trends and patterns across projects. This can help them identify recurring issues and predict potential quality flaws before a problem arises.
SnagR is a leading online data collection tool for construction companies. With the SnagR app, users can capture complex snag data on the field and automate their reporting.
This construction snagging software allows users to go paperless by digitizing and fully customizing their inspection checklist. It also offers a progress dashboard for the management to monitor delays and identify bottlenecks.
- On-site capture: Users can take pictures of snags on-site with their mobile devices and fill in the forms on the go.
- Automated custom reports: SnagR construction software offers default and customizable snag checklist templates. The managers can set up report subscriptions for themselves and others to access the reports automatically.
5. Fieldwire Punchlist
Fieldwire Punchlist is a construction site snagging app used on over a million projects worldwide. This snag list software offers communication, scheduling, and snagging – all on a single platform.
Managers or project owners can categorize tasks based on the workflow. This allows field teams to understand what they have to do once they log in through their mobile devices. The Fieldwire Punchlist App is available on both Android and iPhone devices.
- Improved efficiency: You can create a snag list and share it with your team. You will be notified every time an auditor reports issues, assigns due dates, and leaves instructions.
- Instant reports: The app allows users to generate PDF reports in seconds by exporting all the tasks in a category. Project managers, owners, or architects can easily share the report.
- Two-step verification: Every snag has to go through a two-step verification before it is marked as resolved. This ensures that every deficiency is taken care of.
Based out of Austria, PlanRadar is a collaborative defect management app for construction. With over 120,000 users worldwide, the company aims to digitize the snagging process, eliminating the paperwork.
With PlanRadar, users can build snag lists on their mobile devices and share them with their team members. You can assign snag resolution to your team members and keep track of fixes in real time.
- Tech integration: The PlanRadar mobile application can be integrated with Salesforce, DocuSign, Jira, Sage, etc.
- Custom reports: After completing the snagging process, you can export the data in the required format. You can customize the report for a particular snag type.
- Snag Tracking dashboard: The advanced dashboard helps you keep track of the insights in real time. You can identify opportunities or potential issues and take fast action.
7. LB Aproplan
LB Aproplan is a specialized snagging tool built to identify, track, and resolve snags in construction projects. The app is available on iOS and Android devices.
This construction snagging app allows contractors to create their snag list with photos and descriptions. The on-field team members can assign snag resolutions, set due dates, and track progress in real time.
LB Aproplan offers quick report generation. This allows teams to analyze data, identify trends and recurring issues, and implement faster resolutions.
- Multiple integrations: Users can easily blend the data sets with other tools like PowerBI or Tableau. Additionally, LB Aproplan can be integrated with Sharepoint, Power Automate, SAP, etc.
Available only on iOS devices, SiteWorks allows you to manage the entire snagging process, from list creation to completion. Users can add snags directly onto PDF drawings, complete with detailed descriptions, photos, and deadlines, all within a few simple steps.
Users can keep their snag list updated by adding new observations at any time. You can share each snagging item in various export formats, including PDF, Excel, CSV, email, Dropbox, etc.
- Contacts™ app synchronization: This ensures you have contact details of all the stakeholders in one place.
How to Select a Snagging List App?
Though your choice of snagging app would depend on several factors such as project size, complexity, team size, tech integrations, etc., here are three factors that you must consider mandatorily:
- Pricing: Most snagging tools charge per user per month and disclose their prices upfront on their website. However, you may want to research if they charge extra for sharing reports with non-users. Also, some snagging tools may require in-app purchases to access certain features. For example, a snagging app may charge you extra to build a checklist from scratch. Or, some snagging apps, unlike GoAudits, might ask you to pay for all users, even those who simply need to receive the reports or tasks.
- Functionality: A snagging app should be more than just a checklist. It should be an end-to-end solution that includes the ability to:
- Create checklists for inspection,
- Generate inspection reports and snag lists in one click,
- Monitor inspections and snagging in real-time,
- Get an update on the status of snag resolutions,
- Communicate with your team members on the field.
- Customer reviews: Customer reviews will help you identify if a snagging tool has hidden charges. You will also understand the quality of service offered by the customer support team. Read customer stories and reviews on credible and trustworthy external platforms and review sites like Capterra.
Features to Look For When Selecting a Snagging Tool
Here are the key features you should consider when buying a snagging tool for your construction company:
Digital Snagging Checklists
The snagging process involves checking various aspects of the construction process. This includes paintwork, walls and ceilings, windows, floors, door frames, stairs, pipework, lighting, etc.
A good snagging app must offer you safety walkthrough checklists for each aspect in digital format. Also, you should be allowed to fully customize the existing construction checklists or make your own from scratch. The app should also enable you to categorize and subcategories the checklists based on the areas of the construction process.
Snagging Checklist Templates
Here are some ready-to-use snagging checklists:
» Use These Checklists: Sign up with a 14-day free trial to try these checklists.
Photos and Annotation Features
Ensure the snagging app can capture good-quality photos and facilitate annotations of the snags. This will give a clear understanding of the task to the team members who take care of the snag resolution.
Assigning Tasks and Follow-up Mechanism
Some tasks may require the involvement of a particular team member or an external person. In such cases, the inspector must be able to assign it to them along with the priority level. The assignees should be able to receive the corrective action ticket and send an update without having to log into the system.
The snag app should be smart enough to notify the assignee and take an automatic follow-up in case of a delay.
User-friendly Mobile App
All members of your team should be able to easily access the snag list app, and learn to use it with no training. Therefore, it must be compatible with iOS as well as Android devices. Insights and high-volume data can be best accessed and analyzed on the desktop. So, the snagging app must also offer a desktop application.
Report Generation and Distribution
The best snagging app should generate snagging list reports in a single click in the required format or template. It should also include the results of the previous inspections to understand the status of snags. These reports should be easily shareable with the stakeholders involved in the project.
With GoAudits, you can add users with whom you want to share the snagging reports. The GoAudits software emails the report automatically upon inspection completion, and the users can access it directly without signing in to the app.
Advanced Analytics Dashboard
As a project manager, you need an advanced dashboard to monitor each snagging inspection individually. You should be able to filter results based on site location, individual snag, asset, category, etc. The dashboard should also offer a bird-eye view of tasks, employee performance, and more.
GPS or location tagging allows team members to pinpoint the exact location of the defect. This feature is most useful on large-scale projects with multiple units or buildings.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a snag app?
A snag app is a specialist tool for identifying, managing, and fixing defects, typically known as snags, in the final phases of the construction process. Some popular examples of snag list apps include GoAudits, IssMan, and iSnag.
2. What does snagging stand for?
Snagging is the final inspection conducted by a professional architect, construction administrator, or inspector hired by the owner before the construction process is marked completed and handed over to the client.
3. What is the use of a snag list?
A snag list is a checklist of defects that must be fixed before the completion of the construction project. Some common items on a snag list include checking for fibers surfacing on the concrete slabs, loose wiring, the opening of manholes, etc.
4. How do you test for snagging?
The snagging process is carried out in phases for individual areas. Once all the items in the snag list are checked off, the site is locked and handed over to the client or the owner.
Bottom Line: What is the Best Snagging App?
The best snagging app would be one that can provide you with an end-to-end solution. The snag list software should offer a user-friendly interface and maximum customization for checklists, reports, and snag lists. Additionally, the software company should have a strong customer service team for additional support whenever needed.
GoAudits checks all the boxes and offers much more. It allows you to digitize checklists, automate inspections and follow-ups, and gives you access to a powerful dashboard. With GoAudits, you can set up a safety and quality inspection system for all your construction projects and guarantee top-notch results to your clients.